Thursday, March 26, 2009

Tonight's the night!

...come to the Life Cafe after Maureen's show!

Sorry, that was the first thing that popped into my head the moment I typed in the title. Rent-heads will understand.

The title is appropriate, though, as tonight is indeed the night that I will be in the presence of Debbie Reynolds. Before the tech rehearsal, we're going to get that Q&A time with her. I've charged my camera's batteries and I am SO ready to snap a million pictures of her. I might even get some video.

Last night I impressed myself (harder to do than you might think) by successfully riding the bus system to the Seattle Center for the dance rehearsal last night. I even had 45 minutes to spare! GO ME! I even had the pleasure of hearing the life story of the guy sitting next to me who apparently is pissed because "that bitch he slept with" is making him pay child support for their daughter when she makes "much mo money" than he does and has "a son of a bitch boyfriend who is a rich guy or something" so why does she need his "hard-earned money!"? I look forward to more wonderful stories like this from the clientele that rides the metro buses of Seattle. I'll probably encounter a great character for a future story!

At any rate, my success at getting where I needed to go with plenty of time to spare is encouraging. I can actually get by without a car and I won't have to pay outrageous parking charges in Seattle. I was worried that I'd have to ride the bus with my very large tux bag over my shoulder, but thankfully the kind chorus member who gives me rides home after rehearsals will be able to drive me to Seattle tomorrow, the day of the dress rehearsal.

My part of the dance rehearsal last night lasted about 35 minutes, which officially made my ride into Seattle on the bus longer than the actual rehearsal! Still, I agree with another chorus member I chatted with last night who said that this is going to be a fantastic show. It really is, and not just because of Debbie Reynolds. We're singing some really fun songs from the era of MGM musicals. We have some fun dance sequences, not the least of which--okay, it might be the least of them, but it's still fun--is the Trolley Song, the dance sequence of which I am a member.

Yesterday, they sent out an email to those of us in the Trolley Song dance number saying that we should start thinking about our "character" that is riding the trolley. Apparently some people have already been doing this and the powers that be love it! So yesterday I was thinking about my "character." I've decided that he's either 1)extremely jealous of the narrator of the song who is "losing his heart" on the trolley to the cute guy or 2) planning to make out with one of the other cute characters on the trolley. I'm leaning more toward 2.

I was tempted to make my character impatient... constantly looking at his watch, pulling out a cell phone to take a call, pushing his way off the trolley... but I think that might be distracting. At the Edmonds concert, it was commented that we all looked a little bit like deer in headlights, but I think that was because we had had SO little actual rehearsal and none of us had any real idea if the routine would even come together. Let's face it... I think my character is going to end up being a guy who is DEATHLY afraid of missing a count in the dance and messing up everyone around him!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Hi Benj, I too am a school bus driver, and as such have a hard time letting anyone else drive me anywhere. Please visit my blog and share your school bus driver experience with us all.
http://www.schoolbusdrivers.blogspot.com/