Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Moore Productive Day


Today was a busy day. I went down to storage and went through my many boxes down there in an effort to downsize my life. This is a tradition I adopt every time I move that I call...downsizing my life. In a little over three hours I had thrown away four large tubs of stuff, collected two large tubs of stuff I plan to take to Goodwill, and eight boxes of books that at one time I couldn't live without, but now figured I should take to Half Price Books.

The heavy lifting paid off because they offered me $79 for all the books - minus the $20 I paid for three other books I found during the 20 minutes I had to wait in the store. Hey, I figure I'm still downsizing.
I made some great headway with the stored boxes, though. Enough that I consider today productive. The problem is that there is no storage at the new apartment, so anything I'm not going to have out will need to fit in the closets. I have a pretty nice sized walk-in closet, but it feels good to get a better shot at getting everything to fit in there. Thank God I'm out of the closet, now. That'll make that much more room in there.

After making a little money, I drover my dying car (it actually handled quite well for a dying car) out to Bothell because one of my favorite authors, Christopher Moore, was in town for a book reading and signing. I've been a fan of his ever since accidentally finding his book
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal at the library. I definitely recommend checking out his books, as long as you don't mind people staring at you because you're laughing out loud. Also, his books tend to get a little risque, but that makes them all the more fun. After his hour of funny talking (he didn't actually read from the book, but talked in detail and with great humor about his research in Jolly ol' England) he went to a table for the signing. Now the bookstore staging the event obviously wanted people to buy his books there, and I SO would have, but I couldn't afford to pay full price, so I'd already bought mine at Target.

The problem with that was that people who bought the book at the bookstore got first spots in line to meet the author. They gave out slips of paper with letter based on the order that books were purchased. Starting with A. I was told that people who bought their books elsewhere would have to wait (not even being allowed in line) until all the people with numbers had gone through.
So I did a LOT of waiting tonight, but it was really worth it. He stayed around until everyone had met him so I did get to meet him, get my books signed, tell him which of his books is my favorite (Coyote Blue) and why, and of course got my picture with him.

Sadly, I have ordered a hardback copy of Coyote Blue, but it didn't come in time, so I told him that he'll just have to sign it next year when I come to his book signing for his next book. He gave us all a teaser of it, too - it's called Bite Me and it is a sequel to his previous vampire novels Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck: A Love Story. It was exciting to see so many people there, too!

There were at least 400 Christopher Moore fans. I heard that a couple even drove out from Idaho. While it meant waiting a LONG time to finally meet him, it's cool to see that so many people appreciate his work.


Maybe one day I'll have as many people coming to hear me speak and meet me!

No comments: