Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pure Genius

I was looking at video clips on youtube tonight of song and dance routines from various musicals. The Seattle Men's Chorus next concert, with the great Debbie Reynolds, is going to feature songs from that golden era of musicals and one of them is this great song from Summer Stock by Judy Garland. It is one of my favorite Garland songs:



Of course, watching this clip led me to this clip of Gene Kelly building an entire dance routine around a creaky floorboard and a newspaper.




And then that clip led me to this one by Gene Kelly from Cover Girl. Words can't even begin to acurately praise this amazing accomplishment. Just watch it




The man was a genius!

In college my friend Gavin and I went through a period where we rented all those great tap routines from movies. I think I'm having another one of those urges!

1 comment:

Gavin said...

Summerstock was absolutely amazing! I remember renting it and watching it with you and being blown away.

Gene Kelly was an amazing artist. I'm looking forward to introducing his work to Bronte as she gets older.