Friday, February 20, 2009

Possession is 9/10ths

I really haven't blogged much about my upcoming move. Things have been moving along with it, though I continue to feel trepidation. Am I doing the right thing? My roommate has casually been telling my co-workers that he gives me three months before I come crawling back for my old room. I know - total vote of confidence there.

A couple weeks ago, he kept calling me into his room to show me "better deals" he found on Craigslist. He basically thinks I am making a mistake and is trying to help save me from me, apparently. He is concerned that I made too rash a decision.

This whole mess started with my car tabs. They are due this month and (lucky me) I also have to get an emissions test. Well I thought I'd be smart and get that done early in the month, but my car failed the test. The vehicle speed sensor is malfunctioning. To me, this sounds like an electrical problem, not an emissions problem. Actually, I took the car to a mechanic and he seemed surprised that the failed my car for it, so there ya go.

I discovered that it would take $200 to replace the part, though a mechanic at work said he could do it for 1/2 that, so I was all set to go that route, but then the clutch on my car started having problems shifting. Great. Another problem.

It was around this time (or perhaps it came the next day when the mechanic then quoted the fixing cost around $600) that I started thinking about my goals. One of my goals has always been to get an apartment within walking distance of work. As gas prices have risen I have been more and more imagining a life with an easier commute. There is an apartment complex right across the street from work and I inquired about availability.

I walked out of there $40 lighter having paid the application fee.

That night, they called me back and said I was approved and suddenly I was moving.

Over the past several weeks I have been making plans. Can I survive without a car? Can I get by just using Metro and a bike and my own two feet?

As my roommate continually showed a lack of belief in my ability to make it financially (my rent is going to double) and be able to make it without a car, I've started to doubt myself. Well, more so than usual, anyway.

I sent my parents an email detailing my reasons for the move and got a response back from Dad who 100% backed me on my rationale and choice. That was such a boost! As I look at my options things look less and less bleak. It's going to be a major change, not having a car. But when I look at the benefits and $ I'll save on maintenance and gas, I can't help but rejoice as I look at getting rid of my car. As for the higher rent, I will be taking more of those smaller trips I don't usually take due to my current terrible commute and those add up. I will probably do a lot better at getting closer to 40 hours a week.

My roommate continues to give me that look though. You know, the one that says "boy do I pity you."

Then, yesterday he came to my room and provided yet another memorable moment in the history of my roommate. He informed me that the green blanket on my bed is his daughters and he wants me to make sure I leave it.

I looked at the blanket that Mr and Mrs Bork made for me when I was 9 years old and shook my head. "I've had that blanket since I was nine years old," I told him.

"Are you sure? I could swear that it was my daughter's."

I told him about how the pattern called for a blue color because there are sailboats on the blanket, but since my favorite color is green, the Borks chose that. It was a handmade gift of love that I have treasured for almost 25 years, yet my roommate insists it belongs to his daughter.

Thankfully he gave up his protests and left me alone. I guess I'd better check my bed every night to make sure my special blanket is still there. Or maybe I should hide it! He ain't getting it, that's for DAMN sure!

No comments: