Thursday, May 13, 2010

Back in Black

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Back in Black - Glenn Beck's Nazi Tourette's
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

Lewis Black shines in this segment! I have been thinking a lot about the Arizona "Papers, Please" law--mainly because it's been all over The Daily Show, Colbert Report and Rachel Maddow show. While I agree that it is important that the issue of illegal immigration is extremely important, I think anyone with common sense realizes that Arizona's plan is flawed on so many levels that one needs an elevator just to touch on them.

Right next to our bus lot is a Home Depot and gathered at all of the entrances to it are crowds of Hispanic men looking to find labor. This has actually caused problems in the neighborhood. For one thing, I've witnessed at least ten instances where someone stopped in the parking lot to answer a cell phone call or check for something in a bag and suddenly panicking as their cars were by the crowd of Hispanic men looking for work and thinking some was about to be offered. Sometimes, people in cars who are actually looking for work will block the entrance to the Home Depot (and the Best Buy next to it) to talk to these men. I have even seen people block a lane of traffic to do it. My co-worker and friend Liz can't walk by them (even on the other side of the street) because they whistle and catcall to her. Drivers have seen these men entering our lot to urinate behind the buses. Come ON! I have to walk back there to pre-trip my bus!

I realize the men are just trying to find work, but I've often wondered if standing around hoping it comes to you is really a good way to find an income. It has been suggested that most of the men are illegal immigrants and are therefore unable to go out and seek work.

Does this mean I want a law similar to Arizona to be passed here in Washington? HELL NO! Sure, it would clean up the problem down at the Home Depot, but I think it would also cause problems for legitimate immigrants who have legally gone through the process. All I am saying is that I agree something should be done, but I don't think forcing them to tattoo a Mexican flag on their foreheads is the way to go. Yes, Glenn Beck, that is a throwback to Nazi Germany. Are ya gonna lash out at me for taking my analogy too far?

I wonder if anyone in the Republican Party has caught on yet to how easily their hypocrisy is seen? I mean comics don't even have to do any major digging to find it. Hell, anti-gay activist George Rekers was photographed at the airport attending his own bags and standing next to the guy he claimed was hired to carry his luggage. Anyone with half a brain knew that the rent boy was handling something of George Rekers', but it wasn't his luggage. Of course, according to Rekers, gay sex is an abomination and no rights should be given to anyone who partakes of it.

I suppose we should all be grateful to the Republican Party. Without them life wouldn't be as entertaining.

No comments: