Saturday, October 2, 2010

Halloween Movie Night #2 - Mr. Boogedy


For Halloween Movie night #2, I take a nostalgic look back on my childhood. Back in 1986, Michael Eisner revitalized the Disney movie night by hosting original made-for-TV Disney movies on (if I remember correctly) Sunday nights.

One of my favorite of those movie events involved a movie called Mr. Boogedy (1986). Eisner's introduction to the movie showcased the wizards of special effects and I remember several items from his desk floating up into the air.

Well, I was doing some exploring on the internet yesterday and discovered that someone had made a torrent file of a DVD they made of not only Mr. Boogedy, but its sequel, Bride of Boogedy. Naturally I was VERY excited, since I hadn't seen the movie in years. After 12 long hours, I had the complete file downloaded and was able to burn a copy of the DVD.

Tonight I had a rare Saturday field trip (the pay for Saturday trips is overtime pay, so they are a literal gold mine!) so I took my laptop with me so I could recapture a small piece of my childhood. For some reason, I remember Mr. Boogedy being a longer movie, but it only clocked in at around 45 minutes.

The story tells of a family moving to a creepy old house in a very devilishly named town. Soon, they are hearing evil laughing, creeky steps and... someone sneezing. Despite a not-so-subtle warning from their Realtor, they stay in the house and are soon

There are some surprisingly big names in this movie. John Astin (best known for playing Gomez Addams on the Addams Family TV show) has little more than a cameo in the movie (But OH what a role it is!) and some funny, if not corny, moments.

80's teen star Kristy Swanson stars as the family's oldest child and she delivers some dated pop culture lines such as "I bet nobody hear has even heard of Bruce Springsteen!".

As the youngest child in the family is Benji Gregory, best known for his role as the son on the TV show ALF. As I remembered from watching this as a kid, he was pretty adorable.

The biggest surprise that hit me tonight as I watched Mr. Boogedy was the fact that the middle son was played by none other than a VERY young David Faustino best known for his role as Buck on the TV show Married With Children. I never realized that until tonight - probably because we weren't allowed to watch Married with Children when we were kids. Oh, how deprived we were!

Mr. Boogedy provides some VERY corny, but great Halloween fun. If you are lucky enough to find a copy of it, enjoy!

1 comment:

RJH said...

Another great movie, I remeber watching it on Disney family movies night.