Thursday, October 7, 2010

Halloween Movie Night #7 - A Nightmare on Elm Street


I don't think this one really needs an introduction. We all know Freddy Kruger. Tonight I watched the 1984 Wes Craven classic A Nightmare on Elm Street. It's not hard to understand why this movie has stood the test of time. Even by today's standards, the special effects they accomplished back then are pretty amazing. Did they even have CGI back then? I'm guessing most of what they did was practical by necessity.


Legendary Robert Englund brought to life one of cinemas scariest villians. It's a shame that they decided to "reboot" this series with a re-imagining of the story this year. A new actor took on the role of Freddy and, while I've read he did a good job, he just wasn't Englund. I think it would be like someone else playing Forrest Gump instead of Tom Hanks. I tried to rent the remake through Netflix, but they are required to put a month-long hold on the movie which means I won't be able to rent it until after Halloween. BOO!


Oh well, the classic is enough for me. You've got horror master Wes Craven, one hell of a creepy bad guy and.... ah yes.... Johnny Depp! *sigh*

No comments: